The Howard University Department of Music is a professional fine arts unit within an historically Black private university. Its purpose is to attract diverse students of high artistic and academic potential, and provide for them a scholarly environment and musical experience of exceptional quality in performance, research, pedagogy, technology, therapy, and composition. The Department is dedicated to attracting and retaining faculty of the highest order who work together to inspire students, through example and leadership, to reach their full intellectual and artistic potential. The Department of Music places particular emphasis on the provision of educational and cultural opportunities for individuals of the global community, with significant focus given to the musical contributions of peoples of the African Diaspora.
• To prepare students for professional careers as performers, creators, educators, therapists, scholars, and music industry leaders.
• To provide a wide range of musical activities for the University and the larger community.
• To research, preserve, publicize, and disseminate music of people of African ancestry.
• To attract gifted students to the Department of Music through the distinctive quality of curricula and faculty.
• To attract outstanding teachers, performers, and scholars to the faculty of the Department of Music.
• To encourage interdisciplinary relationships within the University through elective courses and musical performances.
• To encourage music students to take advantage of a broad university education.
• To stimulate research in music with emphasis on the African-American musical contribution.
• To maintain and expand the physical facilities and equipment necessary to achieve departmental goals.
MISSION AND GOALS