The core courses in the Graduate Physics programs are as follows:
PHYS-210/211 (Classical Mechanics I&II),
PHYS-214/215 (Electromagnetic Theory I&II),
PHYS-220/221 (Quantum Mechanics I&II) and
PHYS-222 (Statistical Mechanics I).
Students must make a grade of "B" or better in each of these courses that is required for their degree or plan of study.
The level of preparation for students entering the graduate program is as follows:
Reitz, Milford and Christy, Electricity and Magnetism;
Jenkins and White, Optics;
Tipler, Atomic Physics.
Entering graduate students should have completed the equivalents of physics courses:
PHYS-175 (Thermodynamics, 1 - semester),
PHYS-176 (Optics, 1 semester),
PHYS-178/179 (Electricity and Magnetism - 2 semesters),
PHYS-182/183 (Physical Mechanics - 2 semesters),
PHYS-190/191 (Quantum Physics - 2 semesters),
PHYS-192/193 (Introduction to Mathematical Physics - 2 semesters),
PHYS-194/195 (Experimental Physics - 2 semesters), and
PHYS-196 (Senior Thesis).
We encourage online applications.
A complete application consists of:
1. A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is preferred, and a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in major course work is required. Each graduate department may have additional “special admission requirements” which are noted on this page.
2. Completed on-line application and signature page or download the paper application.
3. The non-refundable $45 application fee (Waivers accepted for FAMU Feeder Program and McNair Scholars)
4. Official transcripts must be submitted directly from the Registrar’s Office from ALL colleges and universities attended
5. GRE Scores (Only official score reports are accepted within 5 years of the test date) www.gre.org
6. Statement of Academic and Research Interest
7. Autobiographical Sketch (Personal biography)
9. Three letters of recommendation
In addition to the requirements listed above you must meet the following: official transcripts, certificates and/or mark/grade sheets must be sent directly from the college or university to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions, and must show proof of degree(s) earned, courses taken and marks/grades received. Also, ALL transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (www.wes.org) or AACRAO (www.aacrao.org) and be forwarded to Graduate Recruitment and Admissions. TOEFL Scores (Minimum computer-based score of 213 is required and only official score reports are accepted within 2 years of the test date) www.toelf.org Statement of Financial Resources Form ( click here ) – A completed form that verifies proof of financial support (sufficient funds to cover expenses for one full year - $26,255 in US Dollars only) and supporting financial documentation indicating sources of funds while attending Howard University (such as a certified bank statement dated within 3 months of registration).